Making your own sunscreen enables you to know exactly what goes into it. Now you can avoid buying store brand sunscreens that contain many ingredients that are not good for your skin. Makes about 8 ounces Ingredients:
1 tablespoon of emulsifying wax
2 tablespoons zinc oxide
1/3 cup grapeseed or jojoba oil
1 teaspoon vitamin E 1/2 cup distilled water
2 tablespoons Aloe Vera gel
10 drops peppermint essential oil 10 drops spearmint essential oil 10 drops grapefruit seed extract
1 drop ylang ylang essential oil
5 drops lemongrass essential oil Directions:
1. Stir together emulsifying wax, oil and zinc oxide. Melt the mixture in a double boiler over low heat.
2. Remove from heat and add Vitamin E.
3. In the microwave or in another pot on your stove, warm water and Aloe vera gel until just lukewarm.
4. Pour the water slowly into the oil, constantly stirring with a wire whisk until you have a thick and smooth mixture.
5. Stir in the grapefruit seed extract and the essential oils.
6. Transfer the lotion into an 8oz dark glass bottle and let it cool before covering with the lid. Occasionally shake the bottle as the mixture cools so the ingredients will not separate.
7. Store in a cool and dark place.
Caution: Wear gloves and use a mask when making this recipe to protect you from inhaling zinc oxide.